A study (below) conducted for Alopecia Areata patients shows that hair re-growth was observed in 87% of patients after 6 weeks of topical application of onion juice
Onions are high in vitamin C and contain quercitin, which reduce oxidative damages to human cells and lowers cholesterol levels to improve our immune system.
Clinical Study: Effectiveness of onion juice for people with Alopecia Areata
There was a clinical study conducted by the Department of Dermatology and Venereology for people who are suffering from Alopecia Areata (also known as patchy hair loss caused by auto-immune disease) and published by the Journal of Dermatology.
Participants were advised to apply onion juice to their scalp twice a day, while tap water was used for the placebo group.
The study results:
- 2 weeks: The study notes after 2 weeks of applying crude onion juice twice everyday, the research team started noticing new hair growth in some patients.
- 4 weeks: 74% of participants (17 people) experiencing re-growth
- 6 weeks: The researchers observed 87% of participants (20 people) with hair regrowth. They also found that men show the better response than women (Hair re-growth observed in 93.7% male and 71.4% female).
The positive result from the clinical study indicates that using onion juice as a topical remedy can be an effective natural solution for people with Alopecia Areata.
How to make onion juice hair mask
- Onion Juice for Hair Mask
Here is a basic (and the most straight) way to make onion Juice Hair Mask for Hair Loss / Regrowth
- Cut the onions into small pieces
- Use a juicer or a blender until it becomes liquidy (If you don’t have a juicer, use a grater with the fine side)
- (Optional) Use a cheese cloth to squeeze out the liquid into a bowl
How to Apply
There are several ways to apply onion juice onto the scalp: Fingers, a cotton ball, a basting brush, and a glass eye dropper bottle (the most sanitary way).
- Part your hair and gently press it into your scalp
- (Optional) Cover your hair with a haircap
- Leave it for 30 minutes to up to 1 hour
- Wash your hair with a shampoo and conditioner
Have you tried onion juice for your hair loss? Share your experience.